Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

My rating: ★★★
Genre: YA, science-fiction
Series: stand-alone



Blurb from NetGalley:
There are rules.
Never reveal where you’re from.Never be intimate with anyone outside the community.And never interfere with history. 
Seventeen-year-old Prenna James emigrated to New York when she was twelve. But Prenna didn't come from a different country, she came from a different time - a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins. 
Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules. Prenna does as she's told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth and take the lives of her younger brothers. But everything changes when she falls for Ethan. 
She might be able to save the world ... if she lets go of the one thing she's found to hold on to.


My review: 


We follow our scripts like actors in a very large, very long production. And even with no audience, none of us gives a hint that it isn't real.

Don't take me wrong, I did like this book I just didn't like it. I know that made no sense whatsoever. I liked the idea of it, just not this particular book. I loved the first 40% of it and then it all went down-hill.
In the beginning we have a really nice introduction of all the characters and it's all just perfect. The beginning, I thought, was really sweet. We got to know Ethan a bit better, we got to know Prenna and the futuristic rules that her people has so we got an insight of the book.

 I feel like if Ann Brashares were to write a trilogy or a duology she could have used this book's entire content to write that trilogy/duology. After those 40% everything was smushed together in a big mess and most of the time I was so confused and was wondering what the heck was happening! 

Every book has - as Veronica Roth puts it - a climax and I feel like the climax in this book wasn't really a climax. Something did happen but it wasn't a real thing. What did happen could've been one of the "build-ups" to the actual climax. 

There were sometimes when you'd start thinking that maybe everything would go better but when it didn't it became more of a disappointment. 

I'm not the person to give a book one or two stars because there were some really great and sweet moments but it did not weigh up to all the disappointments. 

I know that Ann Brashares has written another series called the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I know that a lot of people love that series (I haven't read it) but did not love this. I did want to love it though, because I thought it sounded really interesting but unfortunately, I didn't like it. 

He is the drip, drip of water that carves a canyon right through the middle of me.


Contact me:

Goodreads: @forbiddenbooks
Mail: crystalshit@outlook.com
NetGalley: Sofia Rytters (reviewer) 

Thank you so much for reading, I'll talk to you next time. BYEEE

sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment