Monday, February 2, 2015

A Firefighter's Flame by Dani Hart

My rating: ★★★★★
Genre: NA, Women's fiction
Series: Stand-alone


Blurb from NetGalley:
WARNING: This is not your every day perfect love story wrapped in a pretty bow. It's raw, real, beautiful, and heartbreaking. It touches on issues of depression, bipolar, and an epic love story that everyone hopes to have, and might even have, but forgets in the chaos of mundane every day life. This is a REAL love story based on actual events of a man who loved a woman too deeply and a woman who loved a man the only way she could. 

If you dig into the deepest parts of your soul, what would you find? Happiness, pain, love, regret, peace, sorrow? Now imagine experiencing all those feelings at once and then nothing at all. These were the average days in the life of Lennox Ashford. 

Lennox walked a fine line between truth and deception, love and lust, and most of all, pain and happiness. A line had been drawn between highs and lows, testing her stability on a daily basis. She lived in between the grays of right and wrong, not knowing which way to sway. Strength was supposed to come from within, but being broken exposed her weaknesses instead. 

She grew up believing in love and believing in Dean. He protected her when she was weak, picked her up when she fell, and fought for her when she couldn’t. They lived for each other, and eventually, for their children. 

High school, college, marriage, children, and many rocky days had taken a toll on their marriage, deepening Lennox’s depression and screaming for a way out. She needed something. She needed a change. Fate intervened and the change she got was not what she expected nor wanted. 

A tragic moment will test her already wavering strength and leave a permanent scar on her conscience. Follow her journey of rediscovering love and searching for her own fairy-tale ending.


My review:


My dad taught me from a very young age that you had to learn to save yourself because no one else would, but he also taught me that trust and love are two very different things. 

There's no way of describing this book. No way. Describing this book is like trying to resurrect Nelson Mandela - it's impossible. But for the sake of the people who have yet to pick this up I'll try my best. 

I know that a lot of people have and will react strongly toward the blurb, mostly because of its length and content. A lot of people have and will believe that the whole blurb is just spoiler-party away! It's not. Oh boy, are you wrong if you truly believe that. The blurb does not even begin to unravel the depths of this book. 

This is not a light and cute comteporary read. This is brutal honesty and you should never take it for less. Just like in the beginning of the blurb; this is not your every day perfect love story wrapped in a pretty bow. 

Dani Hart tells the honesty of living in such an exquisite way that you can't help but wonder if you're actually the one experiencing the whole thing.  

This is one of my favorite books ever. I loved it so much. I loved the honesty, I loved the deep, dark secrets that were unraveled, I loved the characters and finally, I loved the story. Dani Hart could not have made a better job and she proudly deserves a place in my heart. 

I really think that YOU should read this book and that YOU should write or record a review of it. This book deserves all the hype and so much more. You can get your copy HERE

Now, I really can't say more without spoiling everything so, BYE NON SPOILERY PEOPLE BYE

We were fools to think that we had any control of our lives. We didn't. It was what we did with the choices that were made for us that would define how we lived. 

***SPOILERY SECTION***

When I first started this book I was confused as to why the present chapters were as present as they were. In the beginning, I believed, that the present chapters would spoil the high-school and college ones. In the first chapter you get to know that Lennox is married to Dean and that she has kids together with him so them getting together in the high-scholl chapter wasn't that big of a surprise. The break-up, on the other hand, was. 

I have a highlight 8% in on the book with a note saying: SHE KISSED HIM FIRST. 
Boy, was I happy when she kissed him first. It (almost) never happens in a book and when I read it, I was filled to the rib with glee. 'Cause that's right, she did kiss him first and I think that move helped her along the way. She took the guts and did it. She did what the guys always do. And she didn't hesitate.  I felt proud in that moment because that was a small step for feminism (if you have a problem with me being a feminist then what the hell are you doing here? This is really not the right place for you.)! 

I never really liked Braedyn. He was just too... too Braedyn. So when he left her after that night because of the "guy-code" all I could see was his bullshit in glorious technicolour. Braedyn was the perfect explanation of the term "bullshit". I didn't even like him after every apology he said. I just, argh. No. 

Kylie reminded me of one of my best friends, Sofie. Not that Sofie drugs me and has commitment issues but just because she's the more "alive" one out of the two of us.  She's the one who hangs out with friends on Friday nights and can start a conversation with nearly anyone. She's the one with a social life. I'm not. This whole paragraph is literally saying that I could relate to myself on personal and emotional level. It's not that many authors that have managed that for me, which I really think says something. 

When Lennox was informed of Dean's accident I was scared. I do know a firefighter and he was in a pretty bad accident and nearly didn't make it. So Dean getting into an accident really did NOT help me with my peace of mind. And when Lennox finally got to see him in the hospital I was crying so badly. They were both happy and sad tears. Sad tears because really, you haven't figured that out yet? And happy because I thought he was gonna make it. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. 

In the moment when we all knew he was not gonna make it unless he was hooked up to machines for the rest of his life I hated myself so much because I couldn't believe that I let myself get my hopes up. I did and it ruined me. But of course, I was warned. It does say that this is not your every day love story wrapped in a pretty bow. But I let myself get my hopes up and that was the biggest mistake I made during this book. 

Drew's words. Oh my God, Drew's words. "Dad, I had a dream. You were hurt and you died Are you gonna die just like in my dream, daddy?". Sobfest, people! Let's gather around for Sofia's sobfest!

Dean's death took hard on me. I know that we all, deep down inside knew he wasn't gonna make it and that he wouldn't let Lennox keep him hooked up to machines for the rest of his life, you don't need to tell how much we knew he was gonna die! I know that, but it still hurt! I did cry. And my parents did believe I was dying, which, in a way, I was.

Thank you, Dani, for creating this. It means a lot to me. And YES, I did write a review even though you said it wasn't necessary. Forgotten Treasures is probably on the top of my to-buy list right now. Thank you. 

A firefighter's flame will never cease if it burns bright in the hearts of his loved ones, in the souls of the ones he tried to save, and in the memories of the lives he touched. 


Contact me:

Goodreads: @forbiddenbooks
Mail: crystalshit@outlook.com
NetGalley: Sofia Rytters (reviewer) 

Thank you so much for reading, I'll talk to you next time. BYEEE

sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment