Monday, January 26, 2015

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

My rating: ★★★★
Genre: New adult, romance
Series: Slammed (Slammed #1)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


My review:


Regret is counterproductive. It's looking back on a past that

you can't change. Questioning things as they occur can
prevent regret in the future.

Know this. Feelings toward this book are not negotiable. 

A phenomenal book. Even counting the annyoing and frustrating parts. It was phenomenal. 

This is the second Colleen Hoover book I read (the first one being Ugly Love) and boy, did I fall in love all over again. I don't what it is about her books, but I have a tendancy to finish them in less than 24 hours. I cried in both. I got out-of-this-world frustrated by both. And I loved them both. 

Colleen Hoover writes contemporary-romance books. The books are inspiring and teaching and at the same time incredibly, incredibly touching and fun. You don't walk away from reading a Colleen Hoover book without a lighter and eased mind (unless you're a serial killer, but I really don't see how a person who takes joy in killing people would like to read about teenagers and adults with relationsship problems. And also you won't like it if you really, really, really despise romance novels.). 

***SPOILERS! SO IF NOT READ THEN GO DO***

Right in the beginning of Slammed when Lake's and Will's relationship starts off I was really happy. Will had this aurora around him that just screamed good intentions, so falling in love with him wasn't a problem. But often when a relationship starts off as early in a book, such as Isla & the Happily Ever After, something bad will happen later on. And it did. When they had their little encounter at the school and I couldn't come to terms with that that would be their problem. I was not prepared either. My friend who sat beside me at the moment became terrified when I started wailing about how unfair it was since they loved each other and deserved to be together, no matter if he was her teacher or not. It took me some time to get over that. 

And oh God damn, the poetry! I loved it! I'm not usually not a big fan of poetry. Never have and probably never will be. But in this book, you could not do else but love it. 
In the beginning of the book, when Will and Lake are going on their date and he performs his slam at Club N9NE, I cried. Big time.

Death
Copyright. Slammed, Colleen Hoover 2011.


Death. The only thing inevitable in life.
People don't like to talk about death because
it makes them sad.

They don't want to imagine how
 life go on without them,
all the people they love will briefly 
grieve
but continue to breath

They don't want to imagine how
life go on without them,
Their children will still grow
Get married
Get old...

They don't want to imagine how
 life will continue to go on without 
them,

Their material things will be sold
Their medical files stamped 'closed'
Their name becoming a memory to 
everyone they know.

They don't want to imagine how 
life will go on without them, so
instead of accepting it head on, they
avoid the subject altogether,
hoping and praying it will
somehow
pass them by. 

Forget about them,
moving on to the next one in line.

No, they didn't want to imagine
how life would continue to go on...
without them. 

But death
didn't 
forget. 

Instead they were met head-on by
death,
disguised as an eighteen-wheeler 
behing a could of fog. 

No,
Death didn't forget about them. 

If they only would have been
prepared, accepted the inevitable,
laid out their plans, understood that
it wasn't just their lives at hand.

I may have leagally been considered
an adult at the age of nineteen, but I
still felt very much
all
of just nineteen. 

Unprepared
and overwhelmed
to suddenlt have the enitre life of a
seven-year-old
In my realm.

Death. The only thing inevitable in
life.

If that's not perfection, I really do not know what is. There are several more pieces of poetry like this throughout the book and they're all touching in their own way. Especially the one that Joel (Eddie's foster dad) wrote to Eddie. 
When I read that part my eyes were drowned by tears and I just had to put my Kindle away so I wouldn't cry all over it. 
When Gavin told them all to bring a pink balloon each I thought they were doing something to "tease" her. But when Lake got there and Joel came up to her and introduced himself and Gavin started reading the speech Joel had prepared I was too busy drowning myself in tears to even think about teasing her with the pink balloons. When they let go of all the pink balloons with the names of all her foster- siblings and parents and Joel walked up to her and gave her the pink balloon with "DAD" written over it and asked if she wanted to become his daughter, I was, no kidding, dying. 

I, did not, as many many others did, expect Lake's mother to have cancer. I did not see that one coming and boy, was I chocked. I can truly admit that I believed in the whole thing about her having a boyfriend and that being the reason of them moving to Michigan. So when her mom told her the truth I was devastated (my grandma had breast cancer a few years back so I take those kind of things a bit personal). In the part of the book when her mom tells them that she's coming down with something, I know that a lot of people had suspicions about her being sick. I didn't though, so surprise surprise, kids, I have a lung cancer. 

I feel kind of bad about this but when Will resigned after the incident with Javi I was happy. 'Cause I finally allowed myself to feel a bit of hope for their relationship but then it all came crashing down onto them and I could not see a single bright thing. 

In the end, when Lake slammed and she realized that Will wasn't present to hear her confession I started crying. I thought, "that's it. It's over. Their relationship will remain as it is." Boy, was I wrong. So when "that's not a good idea" was heard over the speakers the tears falling down my cheeks were happy tears. After he performed his slam and he kissed her we got a well-needed epilogue. 


BUT THERE'S A SEQUEL?! AND A THIRD ONE?! BOTH YES AND NO! 
A TRILOGY?! 

5 brilliant stars. 

Push your boundaries, that's what they're there for. 

!!!BUY THE BOOK HERE!!!

Contact me:

Twitter: @sofiiarytters_
Goodreads: @forbiddenbooks
Mail: crystalshit@outlook.com
Thank you so much for reading, I'll talk to you next time. BYEEE

sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment